Written by Quality Overhead Door and published on https://www.qualityoverheaddoor.com/.
Overhead garage doors are by far the most popular type of garage door available to homeowners, and they are affordable at good prices. There are a number of styles out there, each with its own set of benefits and drawbacks. Here’s a shortlist of your options, as well as some other things to consider, so that you can be best informed in choosing the best door for you.
Guide to Garage Door Styles
When building or remodeling a home, many homeowners view the garage door as an afterthought. But in reality, a garage door is not purely functional — it’s an important component of a home’s overall aesthetic. That’s why the professionals at Quality Overhead Door offer a wide selection of garage door styles and customization options. While it may not be the focal point of a home, we understand that the right garage door brings immense value and beauty to a home’s appearance.
Determining the right garage style depends on the home itself and your preferences. Today, there are hundreds of variations on garage door styles available, which can make it difficult for the indecisive homeowner to make the right selection. The best place to start is the garage door style basics, which we discuss below.
What Are the Most Popular Garage Door Styles?
Although garage doors come in a myriad of shapes, styles, and sizes, there are about four general style categories that most home builders and designers follow when choosing residential garage door styles for particular homes.
The Traditional Garage Door Style
The traditional style garage door is designed specifically for “traditional” homes such as Colonials, Cape Cods, and other common styles that have been around for decades and even centuries. Traditional garage doors usually feature symmetrical panels that are classic and subtle and tend to be universally appealing for most house types.
Traditional garage doors typically feature raised panels with a clean, orderly look, but this broad category can cover styles that align with traditional architectures or “historic” homes — which comprise a massive percentage of today’s American homes.
The Raised Panel Garage Door Style
The raised panel garage door style is one of the most common options for both traditional and contemporary homes. Raised panel garage doors are characterized by a set of slightly raised panels that are symmetrical and clean-looking. Raised panel doors are usually made of fiberglass, steel, or aluminum, and they are easy to paint.
Since raised panel garage doors are stylistically versatile, they are popular options for both traditional and contemporary house styles.
The Carriage Garage Door Style
Carriage houses have been around for centuries, and their traditional charm still appeals to the masses today. Even if one doesn’t have a carriage house, carriage house garage doors are often the garage door of choice. The carriage garage door style’s beautiful features are easily transferrable to a handful of other home styles.
Carriage garage doors are characterized by their rustic, barn door-like appearance. They usually open manually like a regular double door and sometimes feature a row of small windows running across the tops of the doors. However, many modern carriage house style doors can be opened automatically.
The Contemporary Garage Door Style
Contemporary or modern garage door styles typically infuse some traditional elements with innovative twists. Most contemporary garage doors feature clean, sophisticated panels with bold borders and a combination of metal, glass, and wood. There’s no “one” contemporary style, which is part of the beauty of choosing this type of garage door.
Contemporary styles are highly customizable and are extremely attractive to an already modern house.
Our Clopay Garage Door Styles
At Quality Overhead Door, we offer a wide variety of Clopay residential garage doors. Our collections feature diverse styles of garage doors inspired by traditional, contemporary, and historic design schemes that you can customize to fit your home’s needs.
We offer the following garage door collections from Clopay:
- Avante® Collection: A clean, modern selection of glass-paneled garage doors with various customization options.
- Gallery® Collection: Carriage house doors with grooved steel panels and optional decorative windows.
- Coachman® Collection: Composite carriage house doors with insulated steel and a woodgrain composite overlay.
- Canyon Ridge® Collection Limited Edition Series — Carriage House Design: Lovely carriage house garage doors constructed with Intellicore® technology for energy efficiency.
- Classic™ Collection: A durable and highly customizable option for any home.
- Classic™ Wood Collection: Beautiful wooden garage doors handcrafted with natural wood that adds warm tones to any traditional or contemporary home.
- Grand Harbor® Collection: A low-maintenance, budget-friendly option for homeowners looking for charming carriage house garage doors.
- Canyon Ridge® Collection Ultra-Grain® Series: An elegant and economical garage door with an Intellicore® steel base and an Ultra-Grain® woodgrain finish.
- Modern Steel™ Collection: A beautiful collection that features modern and mid-century styles with multiple paints and finishes customization options.
- Premium Series: Highly durable, economical, and energy-efficient garage doors that come with a variety of customized options for any home aesthetic.
- Value Series: A one-layer steel garage door that can be customized to fit any home design and comes with the option of glass windows.
- Value Plus Series: A thick-layered, sturdy option that works well with most homes and features three-panel designs with optional windows.
Original post here https://www.qualityoverheaddoor.com/blog/garage-door-style-guide/.