Written by Vivint Smart Home and published on https://www.vivint.com/.
Technology has become so advanced in such a short amount of time that it can be hard to keep up and know how it can integrate into our lives to make our routines seamless. The idea of the smart garage door opener has been around for some time, even before we had the tech to make this future reality. To have a house that bends to our needs without so much of a flip of a switch, but rather with the ability to perform tasks knowingly, simply by existing as a sentient being, this has long been the dream of a wistful homeowner. Connecting the garage door to a Wi-Fi system is the first thing people tend to do with their garage door. It allows you to control your garage door from anywhere via your smartphone. This also allows you to check your garage door status anytime. This is a must! How many times have you turned back to check if you didn’t leave your garage door open? All you need for this is a Wi-Fi signal from your home.
Everything You Need to Know about Smart Garage Door Openers
If you’re like most people, at one point or another you’ve probably been in the middle of your workday or running errands when a thought crosses your mind: “Did I leave the garage door open?”
It’s a question that’s worth worrying about. According to the FBI, 33% of break-ins occur through an unlocked or open door or window, and that includes an open garage.
Luckily, you don’t have to worry about whether you remembered to close the garage door. With a smart garage door, you’ll not only know if it’s open or closed, but you’ll be able to control it wherever you are.
Take a look at how a smart garage door works and how it can benefit your home.
Benefits of a smart garage door
Most garage doors can be opened in one of two ways: manually, with a handle on the door you grab and pull, or automatically via a control pad in your garage or a fob you keep in your car.
A smart garage door, on the other hand, is an automated garage door that typically wires into your existing system to allow remote access. Because it operates via WiFi, it can also integrate with many of your home’s other smart devices.
If you don’t have a smart garage door yet, it’s a worthwhile investment. For families on the go, a smart garage door provides several benefits:
- Better garage door security. As the largest entry point to your home, your garage door provides access to your entire home. It also houses valuables like your cars and tools. What’s more, it’s surprisingly easy to break into—in just six seconds, thieves can break into a garage door with just a coat hanger and a little pressure. This makes the garage a particularly attractive option for those who want to get into your home.
- Remote monitoring. Did you leave the garage door open or did you close it? With a smart garage door, you can alleviate that nagging worry. With remote monitoring, you’ll receive a notification on your smartphone app if your garage door is open. And no, you don’t have to drive back home to close it.
- Control wherever you go. Through your smartphone app, you can close (or open) your garage door no matter where you are.
- Smart home integration. When integrated into a smart home system, a smart garage door integrates with other smart home devices. This can include home security cameras you can place in your garage or integration with your home’s security system.
- Greater home security. When combined with security features like indoor and outdoor surveillance cameras and door alarms for the entrance leading into your home from the garage, a smart garage door provides enhanced home security.
Smart garage doors and safety
Your garage is one of the most vulnerable points of your home. Many people don’t lock the door from the garage leading into the home for convenience while coming and going, so it’s easy in for burglars. Your garage is also home to some of your most costly possessions, like your vehicles, tools, and expensive lawn care equipment. Thieves know this, which makes your garage an even more attractive option.
With a smart garage door, you always know whether your garage is open or closed, and you can close it wherever you are—making it harder for burglars to stroll in and take what they want. Read more here…
Smart also means Safe
Another important benefit is the ability to connect security cameras to your garage door system. These can detect records and even stream live footage when your garage door is being used. Whichever way you choose, upgrading your garage door and give it smart capabilities is a thing now and the prices are keep getting lower. Improving the storage systems and appearance of your garage will transform it into a part of your home that can serve your family better.
To make your home safe and you children, Read this blog post https://garageservicepros.com.au/tips-to-childproof-a-garage/.