Written Evander and published on https://www.evander.com/.
The sheer choice of garage doors can be overwhelming, so knowing where to start is important. Whilst it’s tempting to think about the colour and design of your new garage door before anything else, the most sensible first step is to work out which particular type of garage door is best suited to your needs. This often begins with the opening mechanism — the way the door is opened.
Guide: Canopy Garage Doors
What is a Canopy Garage Door?
When you think of a garage door, the first type that pops into your mind is likely one which has an up & over canopy opening. It’s the most popular type of opening mechanism and one which allows for maximum drive-through width.
The ‘canopy’ name comes from the fact that when the door is opened by lifting it up, it protrudes out of the doorway by about a third. This forms a canopy which provides shelter further out of the garage space. This can be useful if you need to work on your vehicle whilst it’s raining.
A canopy up & over door is compact and opens using strong torsion springs, which come with 5‑year guarantee as standard. As it’s a common opening mechanism, the canopy garage door is available in a wide range of materials and colours – check out our range of canopy doors to see the different options available to you.
- Allows for the maximum possible drive-through width
- Simple to operate
- Easy to install
- Available in a wide variety of colours and materials
- British Standard & insurance approved
- Secured by Design certified doors available (the Garador Guardian Range
- Difficult to integrate electronic automatic opening
- Door takes up space at the top of the garage when open
- Door protrudes out of the doorway as it is being opened and when it’s fully open
Original post here https://www.evander.com/useful-guides/guide-canopy-garage-doors.